‘I was the first person to go’: Australian man ‘saved’ by police who rescued him from shark attack

  • August 27, 2021

Posted October 24, 2018 07:20:39 A man who was trapped in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean by a shark while out swimming with friends has been awarded $2 million by the Federal Court.

Key points:The 36-year-old man said he was trapped for nearly 24 hours before police rescued himThe man said it was the best decision he had made in his lifeThe man has now been paid the $2m he won from the awardThe man, who has not been named, said he had been surfing in Florida with his friends when the shark came after them.

“I was going pretty fast, I was just in the water at the time,” the man told the court.

“They were in the right place at the right time.”

The 36 year-old said he got out of the water when he was in the early stages of a wave and started swimming towards the ocean floor.

“When I got out, there was a shark, about 15 metres (yards) away,” he said.

“There was a huge wave, I got down to the water, I grabbed a hold of it, and then they were right there.”

The shark jumped onto his arm and began clawing at him.

“And then I was on the floor,” he told the jury.

“As I was getting up, they just started clawing and I was trying to get out of there.”

Police officers used a rescue net to pull the man from the water.

“It was just one of those moments that you just can’t explain,” he added.

The man told his lawyer he was happy with the award.

“That’s why I’m so grateful,” he replied.

“You can’t just give out $2,000 for something that you don’t want, and that’s what I’m doing now.”

The man’s lawyer, David Smith, told the hearing he would contest the award in the High Court.

Topics:human-interest,law-crime-and-justice,sport,human-transmission,dolphin-attacks,human,welfare,beaches-7210,united-statesFirst posted October 24, 2019 08:02:42More stories from Queensland